Dubai: If you are a UAE resident, and Japan has been on your travel bucket list for a long time, applying for a visa just got easier. You can now apply for eVisa, which allows you to explore the country for up to 90 days.
According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan, the online visa application was introduced on March 27, 2023, and all foreign nationals who reside in the UAE and Saudi Arabia will now be able to apply for a short-term tourist visa online through the country’s official eVisa platform - www.evisa.mofa.go.jp.
The Japan eVisa platform has also launched a Japan Visa Information hotline for UAE residents- 971-800-032-1271, which is available 24 hours a day, and seven days a week.
Before you apply for the eVisa, you must make sure you have a valid passport, Emirates ID and UAE residence visa.
Who is eligible for the Japan eVisa?
According to the Japan eVisa website, 'all foreign nationals or people who are not subject to the visa exemption measures implemented by the Government of Japan and reside in the following countries or regions are eligible to apply for a visa online.'
Residents from 11 countries can apply for an eVisa:
5. Saudi Arabia
7. South Africa
9. United Arab Emirates
10. United Kingdom (UK)
11. United States of America (USA)
However, if your nationality is eligible for visa-free travel to Japan, you do not need to apply for an eVisa. There are over 69 countries that have visa exemption arrangements with Japan. To find the complete list, visit this: https://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/short/novisa.html
Japan eVisa duration and validity
As per the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan:
• Duration: A short-term visa for the purpose of tourism is for 90 days.
• Validity: The eVisa is valid for three months from the next day of issuance.
How long does it take to issue the eVisa?
The time required from visa application to visa issuance is five working days.
How much does the visa cost?
According to Japan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs the visa issuance fee is 3,000 yen (approximately Dh82), but there are certain nationalities that are exempt from paying a visa fee or can pay a reduced fee.
As per the Consulate General of Japan in Dubai, there are over 30 countries exempt from paying visa fees, you can find the complete list here: https://www.dubai.uae.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_ja/visa_fee_eng.html
Here is a breakdown of the visa fee, as per the Consulate General of Japan in Dubai
• General cost: Dh80
• For Indian nationals: Dh20
• Free for certain nationalities
You must pay for the visa fee in cash at the Consulate General of Japan in Dubai, if you are resident inDubai, Sharjah, Ajman, Umm Al Quwain, Ras Al Khaimah and Fujairah. If you live in Abu Dhabi, you must visit theEmbassy of Japan.
Required documents for Japan eVisa
According to the Consulate General of Japan in Dubai’s website - dubai.uae.emb-japan.go.jp, here are the documents UAE residents must submit:
・Recent passport photo - the photo must be taken within six months.
・Emirates ID copy(front and back)
・Itinerary with flight information
・Schedule of stay – entry and departure dates.
・Certificate of employment of the applicant
・Bank statement of at least three months
You must not upload any documents other than the required ones. In case a document is missing, the application will be terminated and you will have to re-apply.
How to apply for the Japan eVisa
Step 1: Visit the Japan eVisa website and create an account
• Visit the official Japan eVisa platform website- https://www.evisa.mofa.go.jp/index and click on the ‘Online Visa Application’ section on the menu bar.
• Next, click on the ‘Register Email Adress’ button.
• To register a new account enter the following details – email address, language, nationality or citizenship, and place of residence – which you will have to select from a drop down menu and it will show you the eligible list for countries.
• If you have selected ‘United Arab Emirates’, enter the Emirate you reside in from the drop down menu.
• Next, click the ‘Check’ button at the bottom of the page.
• Once that’s done, the platform will provide you a summary of your account registration details and the ‘Japan overseas establishment to which the application was made’ – this means that once you submit the application for the eVisa it will be inspected and issued by the Consulate General of Japan in Dubai – if you are a resident in Dubai, Sharjah, Ajman, Umm Al Quwain, Ras Al Khaimah and Fujairah. If you reside in Abu Dhabi, then the Embassy of Japan in Abu Dhabi will oversee the eVisa application.
• Click the ‘Register’ button.
• Next, you will receive a link to activate your account, which will remain active for 72 hours.
• Once you have visited the link, you will be asked to create a password for your account. Then, click ‘Register’.
• Next, you will be asked to enter a One-Time-Password (OTP), for authentication purposes. You will receive the OTP on your registered email address.
Step 2: Enter your email address and password and register for the eVisa application
• Once that’s done, you will be redirected to the eVisa platform log-in page, where you will be asked to enter your email address and password.
• You will then be transferred to the eVisa application section. Click on the ‘New registration’ button.
• Next, you will enter the ‘Register a visa application’ section and agree to the terms and conditions.
• Click the ‘Next’ button.
Step 3: Fill out the ‘Basic Information’
The first part of the application process is completing the ‘Basic Information’ section. In this, you will enter personal details and upload essential documents.
• Upload a recent passport photo – the photo must be taken within six months and must adhere to Japan eVisa platform conditions.
• Upload a valid passport copy – this includes passport bio page and the page above it – which includes your full name, date of birth, place of birth, passport issue and expiry date, and passport number.
• The passport can be uploaded in either of the following formats – jpg, png, pdf, and heic.
• Enter your full name, as shown in the Machine Readable Zone (MRZ) column of your passport. MRZ is the two lines at the bottom of the personal or bio page in your passport.
• Enter your middle name – if you do not have a middle name, enter ‘-‘.
• Enter date of birth.
• Select your nationality.
• Enter your passport number.
• Select your gender.
• Enter passport expiry date.
• Enter ‘National ID number officially assigned by the government’ – enter your Emirates ID number.
• Select your passport type – ‘ordinary’ or ‘other’.
• Enter the place where the passport was issued.
• Enter the date when the passport was issued.
• Enter the government office that issued the passport.
• Enter former family name and given name. If there is none, type in ‘-‘.
• Enter former and/or other nationalities or citizenship – if this does not apply to you, select ‘none’.• Enter birthplace.
• Select marriage status.
• Select your occupation from the list, or if you cannot find your occupation, select ‘other’ and enter your job title.
• Enter spouse’s occupation. If you are single, select ‘none’.
• Select ‘tourism’, which is the only option as your ‘purpose of visit’.
• Next, ‘single’ will be automatically entered under the system for ‘number of times the visa is valid’. The eVisa for tourism is only single entry. Click ‘Next’.
Step 4: Enter your travel information
• Once that’s done, move on to the next part of application, which is ‘Travel information’ section. You wil have to enter the following details:
• Enter the Entry and departure date for Japan.
• Enter the name of the airline and flight number.
• Name of the Japanese airport or port of arrival.
• Select the destination.
• Enter the accommodation details – select whether you are staying at a hotel or home/residential area.
• Enter the detailed address of the accommodation.
• Enter the ‘cumulative number of days in the last year’ – if you visited Japan recently, enter the number of days. If not enter ‘-’.
Step 5: Enter your address details and employment details
Now enter your address details, which include:
• Your current address in the UAE.
• Your contact information – mobile number, telephone number and email address.
Next, enter your employment details, which include:
• Name of the employer/company.
• The telephone number and address.
• If there is none enter ‘-’.
• Click ‘Next’.
Step 6: Fill out the questionnaire
• After you have completed the previous section, you will be asked a few questions – you will either have to answer ‘yes’ or ‘no’. Click ‘Next’.
Step 7: Upload the required documents
• Once you have completed the questionnaire, upload the required documents for the eVisa, as per your nationality and country of residence. The documents must be uploaded in either jpg, png, pdf, heic, tif, gif or bmp and the maximum size is two megabytes. Click ‘Next’.
Step 8: View the visa information and confirm the details
• Once you have completed the entire application, you will then be able to view the summary of the eVisa form and confirm the information you have entered. If you need to make any edits, click on the ‘Change’ button. Click ‘Save’.
Step 9: Submit the eVisa application.
• The information you have entered will then be reflected on the ‘visa application list’. Tick the button next to the list and click the red ‘Submit’ button.
• Check the details again and click ‘Confirm’. Next a confirmation notification will pop up and it will state that you will not be able to delete or many any changes. Select ‘OK’
• You have now completed your application and you will receive a notification on your registered email address that your application is currently in progress.
Step 10: Status of the application.
• You will be able to view the status of your application, by visiting the eVisa website and selecting ‘Visa Application List’.
Step 11: Make the payment
• You will receive an email regarding the fee payment, if the application has passed the examination stage. If you have to pay for the visa fee, the email will state that you will have to visit the Consulate General of Japan in Dubai or Embassy of Japan in Abu Dhabi and pay for it in cash.
Step 10: Receive the eVisa
• Once the payment is completed and confirmed, you will receive an email stating that your eVisa has been issued.
• You will not receive the eVisa by email. You will need to log in to the eVisa website. Select the ‘Visa Application List’ and click on ‘Visa Issuance Notice (to display)’ – this is the official eVisa document.
• You will have to show the ‘Visa Issuance notice’ at the departure airport on your mobile, tablet or other devices. A PDF or screenshot of the page will not be accepted.
Japan to lift COVID-19 rules
From May 8, 2023, the Japanese government will cease COVID-19-related entry requirements to the country. In line with COVID-19 being classified as a common disease. This means travellers no longer need to provide proof of vaccination or a negative PCR test from May 8 onwards.
Do you have any questions related to the topics covered in Living in UAE? Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you're a UAE resident, you are required to apply for a short-term visa to visit Japan, valid for up to 90 days of travel.What is the requirements for Japan visa from Dubai? ›
- UAE residence Visa.
- Residence card (ZAIRYU-Card) (Front & back)
- Special Re-entry stamped ED card (Front & back)
- Japan visa application form (PDF)
Japan tourist visa is a short-term stay visa for the purposes of sightseeing, visiting friends, or attending conferences or courses. A tourist visa is normally valid for a single-entry stay of up to 90 days. Tourists can also apply for a double-entry visa for 2 short trips within a 6-month period.Can I stay 90 days in Japan? ›
You can stay in Japan up to 90 days for temporary visitor status (for most countries). But, you can stay longer in Japan if you have a student visa, working visa, working holiday visa and some other types of visa.Do UAE citizens need visa to Japan? ›
Do UAE residents need visas to Japan? The UAE residents with regular passports will be able to enter Japan without a visa from 1 November 2022. They will be able to enter the country without a visa as long as their stay does not exceed 30 days.Is Japan tourist visa easy to get? ›
This is a Single Entry visa, valid for stays up to 30 days Per Entry. You still need to visit the Japan embassy or consulate to submit your documents and pay the visa fees. However, applying is quick and easy with iVisa.How much is visa from Dubai to Japan? ›
|Visa Fees indicated below are to be applied from 01 / April / 2023|
|Countries listed below||FREE|
- A clear photocopy of "Certificate for completion of registration to the ERFS system" is compulsory.
- Visa application form.
- Original Passport along with a photocopy of bio pages.
- Invitation letter.
- Guarantee letter.
- Schedule of stay.
- Declaration form.
- Last 3 months bank statement of Indian company.
Copy of Passport (First and Last page including Japanese visa status, entry/departure stamps and permission of residence. b. Copy of the valid residence card (Both front & back) c. Certificate of residence (with all the matters listed except for individual number(“My Number”) and Resident record code.How much does a 90 day visa cost? ›
How much does a 90 day fiancé visa cost? The fiancé visa costs $800. There's an additional cost of $1225 to apply for a green card.
Staying for 90 days— means that as soon as you enter any country within the Schengen area, your 90-days clock starts. This counts for every country in the zone. For example, let's say you spend 30 days in Germany, then 30 days in France, and 30 days in Austria; you've spent 90 days in the Schengen zone.What is the 90 day rule visa? ›
The 90-day rule applies a presumption that a nonimmigrant visa holder made a misrepresentation at the time of admission or application for a nonimmigrant visa when that nonimmigrant enters the United States and within 90 days engages in conduct inconsistent with his or her nonimmigrant status.What is 90 180 days rule visa? ›
Your total stay in the Schengen area must be no more than 90 days in every 180 days. It does not matter how many countries you visit. The 180-day period keeps 'rolling'.What is the longest tourist visa for Japan? ›
A Japan Tourist Visa is issued for a maximum duration of 90 days, usually for a single entry. You can spend up to 15 days in the country once you enter via the Tourist Visa.How many times can I visit Japan in a year? ›
A17: There is no limit to the number of times you can enter Japan. However,, if you intend to stay in Japan for more than half of year (180 days) as “Temporary Visitor”, you might not be allowed to enter Japan since it may not be regarded as temporary visit.What are the new visit visa rules in UAE 2023? ›
UAE visit visa new rules 2023
The UAE has introduced a one-time 30-day visa extension for travellers on 90-day visit visas, allowing for extensions of up to 90 days. However, visit visa holders seeking an extension must now leave the UAE and reapply.
Japan is only affiliated with the 1949 Geneva Convention, and United Arab Emirates is also affiliated with the 1949 Geneva Convention. Therefore, if United Arab Emirates issues a international driving permit (IDP) under the 1949 Geneva Convention in the proper format, it is valid to drive in Japan.Which agency in Dubai is going to Japan? ›
Regal Tours is the best travel agency to get your Japan visa from Dubai easily. Regal specializes in processing Japan visas as well as other East Asian countries visas such as Malaysia, Singapore, Korea, and Indonesia. We can also help you with affordable hotel prices and air tickets to Japan.What is the minimum bank balance for Japan tourist visa? ›
How much bank balance is required for a Japan tourist visa? As mentioned above, I would suggest showing bank balance of anywhere between 1-2 lakhs.Is Japan visa free for USA? ›
Citizens from the United States are required to obtain a visa to travel to Japan, regardless of the intended length of stay and the purpose of the visit.
According to experienced travelers, the show money for a Japan visa should be enough for your daily expenses within the duration of the trip. For instance, if you stay in Japan for 15 days, you must have at least ₱100,000 in your bank account. If you're staying for at least five days, ₱50,000 may be enough.How long does it take to get Japan visa from UAE? ›
Japan eVisa processing time for UAE residents
According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Japan (MOFA), as a general rule, visas are issued within 5 working days after all required documents are submitted appropriately.
Click on the nationality of the visa applicant traveling to Japan. All foreign nationals/people who reside in the following countries/region and are required to obtain a short-term visa on visiting Japan are eligible to apply for a visa online from March 27, 2023.
5-year Multiple Entry Visa
The visa allows you to stay for 90 days whenever you enter the country. After the visa expires and you want to stay more days, you can extend the visa for 90 days. It is the ideal visa for people with a loved one living in UAE because you get enough time to spend with loved ones.
Q5 : How far in advance can I apply for the visa? A5 : Japanese single-entry visas are only valid for a period of three months from the date of issue. Therefore, ideally, a visa application should be lodged at least two weeks before the intended travel date.Do I need to book a flight before applying for Japan visa? ›
We do not recommend that you to purchase your flight ticket before the VISA is issued, in case your VISA is not approved. However some Embassies will need you to have your flight ticket when you apply for the VISA, so please check with your nearest Japanese Embassy.Do I need to book tickets before applying for Japan visa? ›
Do I Need to Book a Flight Ticket Before Applying for a Visa? No. You don't have to buy a flight ticket before you apply for a visa. Instead, you can present a flight itinerary which you can book without paying the full price of the travel ticket and once you obtain your visa you can purchase the real flight ticket.How do I write a cover letter for a tourist visa to Japan? ›
Part of the Japan visa requirements is a cover letter which you have to write yourself and address it to the Embassy/Consulate. You should use the letter to introduce yourself, state the reason for your travel, dates when you intend to enter and depart, as well as a general itinerary of your stay.What is proof of sufficient funds for Japan visa? ›
Proof Of Sufficient Funds
This could involve a credit card, a large wad of cash or a bank statement. Again, immigration officers rarely ask to see this, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared. Note that all foreign visitors to Japan are photographed and fingerprinted upon entry (when you show your passport).
|Japan Visa Type||Visa fees|
|Tourist visa for 30 days (Mumbai consulate)||Rs 3,499|
|Tourist visa for 30 days (Delhi consulate)||Rs 3,499|
|Tourist visa for 30 days (Chennai consulate)||Rs 3,499|
The Dubai tourist visa 90 days has an entry validity of 58 days from the date of issue.What happens after 90 days visa? ›
The 90-day rule only applies to your most recent entry. If an older stay exceeded 90 days but you have since left the U.S. and returned, USCIS resets your 90 days. You'll have to wait an additional 90 days to honor the rule. The rule also only applies to your most recent visa.What is 90 days visa with multiple entry? ›
The multiple entry 5-year tourist visa enables tourists to enter the UAE multiple times on self-sponsorship and remain in the country for 90 days on each visit, and can be extended for further 90 days. This type of tourist visa can be issued for all nationalities.What is 90 180 day rule example? ›
For example, you could arrive in Spain on January 1st and stay for 90 days in a row (until March 31st). Or you could take several short breaks in Spain between January 1st and June 29th (180 days), spending a different amount of time on each.Where does the 90 day rule apply? ›
You can stay 90 days in any 180-day period within the Schengen area. calculated individually for each of these states. For instance, after a 90-day stay in the Schengen area, the person can immediately travel to Croatia and stay for another 90 days there.What is the 90 day rule simplified? ›
The 90/180-day rule affects those non-EU citizens who can enter the Schengen area without a visa and those with a multiple entry Schengen visa that is valid for more than 90 days. So, this rule also includes nationals of those countries who are eligible for ETIAS once it's launched in 2024.How can I avoid the 90-day rule? ›
- Schengen Area.
- Schengen Visa.
- The 90-Day Limit. ...
- » Get a Europe Student Visa. ...
- » Find Work or Stay as a Freelancer. ...
- » Do a Union or Reunion in Europe. ...
- » Apply for Citizenship. ...
- » Hold a Long-Term Tourist Visa.
Certain people are exempt from the terms and conditions that apply to others via the 90-day rule. Immediate relatives of US citizens are typically exempt from the misrepresentation rule. Still, the first 90 days of a visit to the US are risky for a status adjustment.Is the 90-day visa real? ›
The visa allows the foreign fiancé of an American citizen to enter the U.S. and get married within 90 days, or return to their home country. Each episode follows the highs and lows of this 90-day period while couples decide if they'll say “I do” or call the relationship quits.Can I stay 90 days in the USA? ›
The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) enables most citizens or nationals of participating countries* to travel to the United States for tourism or business for stays of 90 days or less without obtaining a visa.
You must apply for a visa (B2 visa) if you want to stay in the U.S. for more than 90 days, no matter what the reason. You must apply for a visa (B1 visa) if you are traveling to the U.S. for employment or business purposes involving remuneration, even if not staying longer than 90 days.How can I go to Japan from UAE? ›
If you're a UAE resident, you are required to apply for a short-term visa to visit Japan, valid for up to 90 days of travel. This used to be done via the consulate-general in Dubai, or the embassy in Abu Dhabi. But now, it can be done online.How many times can I extend my visa in Japan? ›
There is no limit for the number of extensions that can be granted (except for some types of visa such as Trainee and Cultural Activities), as long as you meet all the requirements.How to get 3 years visa in Japan? ›
- Visit the Japanese Embassy in Your Country. ...
- Contact Your Japanese Connection. ...
- Prepare the Documents to Apply for a Visa. ...
- Work Visa. ...
- General Visa. ...
- Highly Skilled Professional Visa. ...
- Specified Visa. ...
- Start-up Visa.
You must have a valid passport and an onward/return ticket for tourist/business "visa free" stays of up to 90 days. Your passport must be valid for the entire time you are staying in Japan.How to stay in Japan for 90 days? ›
You can stay in Japan up to 90 days for temporary visitor status (for most countries). But, you can stay longer in Japan if you have a student visa, working visa, working holiday visa and some other types of visa.Can you stay in Japan longer than 3 months? ›
Most statuses of residence allow you to stay in Japan for a period between three months and five years. If you wish to stay longer, you must apply for an extension at an immigration bureau inside Japan before the expiry date of your current residence permission.Are there any travel restrictions to Japan right now? ›
Yes, visa free tourism resumed October 11, 2022. Tourists with U.S. passports no longer need a visa to stay up to three months. Is a negative COVID-19 test required for entry? No.Is Japan open for permanent residents? ›
You can apply for Japan Permanent Residency if you fulfill the following requirements: You have been living in Japan for a sufficient period of time.Is Japan open for new entry? ›
Single entry visa and multiple entry visa which have been issued by Embassies, Consulate-Generals and Consulates of Japan in all countries/regions and whose validity have been temporarily suspended have been resumed again from 0:00 am (JST) on October 11, 2022.
Entry & Exit:
You must have a valid passport and an onward/return ticket for tourist/business "visa free" stays of up to 90 days. Your passport must be valid for the entire time you are staying in Japan.
- Contact the Japanese Embassy/Consulate to make an appointment for the submission of the application. ...
- Gather the required documents for a Japan visa (see them below)
- Submit the documents at the Embassy/Consulate or the travel agency.
- Wait for the visa to be processed.
A1: The standard processing period, when it does not have any problem on contents of the application, takes five working days from the next day after the date of the acceptance of application. Meanwhile, it may take longer than usual if a large number of visa applications converge at a short-time period.How hard is it to get permanent residency in Japan? ›
You wish to live in Japan for a long time with your native nationality, obtaining PR have many advantages. However, the application for PR is quite strict and takes a long time. It's easy to get disallowed if you don't prepare well, but if you prepare well enough, you'll be success.Is visa on arrival for UAE residents 2023? ›
If you are a UAE resident, you can enter the country without a visa and stay for a maximum of 90 days. For residents, Pakistanis, and Sri Lankans can obtain an E visa; while people from, Syria, Egypt, Jordan and the Philippines can obtain a visa on arrival.What is the new UAE residency rule? ›
In brief. On 9 September 2022, the UAE Cabinet of Ministers issued Decision No. 85 of for 2022, which provides a new domestic definition and criteria for when an individual or a legal entity shall be considered a Tax Resident of the UAE for the purposes of any UAE tax law or bilateral tax agreement from 1 March 2023.Is 90 days visa available in UAE? ›
You can apply for your 90 days Dubai tourist visa with single-entry or multiple-entry provision. Apply online for a 90 days Dubai tourist visa starting from Rs 16,200 only and get your visa in just 5 working days. For instant Dubai visa online assistance, call us at 022 4164 2214 or fill in your details.What is the best month to go to Japan? ›
The best time to visit Japan is between March and May and between September and November as it's both warm and dry between these periods. However, the joys of springtime and the iconic blooming of the cherry blossoms in Japan are no secret, which means you'll be sharing the space with plenty of other travellers.Why was Japan closed to foreigners? ›
In the 1500s, the first European traders and missionaries had visited the island nation and brought with them new ideas. Fearing that further contact would weaken their hold on the gov- ernment and the people, the Tokugawa banned virtually all foreigners.